If you are wondering how to make EZGO golf cart faster then you have come to the right place.
There are many ways to increase the speed of your EZGO golf cart, some are quite expensive like upgrading the motor, and others won’t even cost you a cent.
How to Make EZGO Golf Cart Faster?
These are the 5 ways how to make EZGO golf cart faster:
1. Add more Torque
Increasing your Ezgo golf cart torque will automatically make the cart go faster. To increase the torque of your ezgo golf cart, you have to increase the RPM of the motor. This can be done by increasing the voltage of your motor to provide more RPM or replacing the motor with one of higher RPM.
2. Replace the Existing Motor with A Larger Field Coil
Replacing the existing motor of your Ezgo golf cart with a series motor will increase the speed of your cart. A series motor has a large field coil inside, which provides a larger magnetic area resulting in increased torque. The amature located inside a series motor is usually more balanced than that of a shunt motor.
Check out this article on the World’s Fastest Golf Cart in 2022.
3. Increasing Battery Voltage
Changing the battery of your Ezgo golf cart is another way of making your Ezgo golf cart go faster. Increasing the battery pack voltage of your ezgo golf cart results in an increase in the motor output of your golf cart which boosts the speed of the cart.
You can also add more batteries that have lower voltage to make your Ezgo golf cart go faster. Instead of replacing your batteries completely, you can simply change the cart’s wiring to include more batteries which will also result in an increase in the speed of your Ezgo golf cart.
4. Running Your Car without Excessive Loads
Your Ezgo golf cart is designed to carry a weight limit of 800ibs. When you overload your cart above this estimated weight limit, it will lead to reduced speed. Try to keep your cart light and free of much weight to make your golf cart go faster.
5. Make a Few Upgrades
To make your Ezgo golf cart go faster, you can make some modifications or upgrades on parts like the solenoid, controller, and tires.
Check out this article on Club Car Speed Controller adjustments and upgrades.
How to Make EZGO Golf Cart Faster?
To make your electric Ezgo golf cart faster, you can take these simple steps:
- Keep the engine clean.
- Adjust the gear.
- Upgrade the motor.
1. Keep the Engines Clean
It’s a fact that any engine used to run over a long period of time will slow down as a result of grime and dust build up. As basic as this sounds, cleaning your Ezgo golf cart engine will boost the speed remarkably.
2. Make Adjustments to The Gear Ratio
The gear helps to control the speed of your electric golf cart. To make your electric ezgo cart go faster, you need to adjust the gear ratio above 6:1. The gear Is usually located under the transaxle. You can change it yourself if you are familiar with cart mechanics or you can take it to a mechanic for assistance.
3. Upgrade the Motor
Upgrading the motor of your golf cart to a high-performing one will boost the speed of your electric golf cart. However, you should ensure that the new motor is compatible with your golf cart’s engine to avoid compromising other parts of the vehicle. This method is the most expensive on this list, however, if you want more speed, it’s okay to go for it.
How to Make Your Ezgo Txt 48v Go Faster
To make your Ezgo TXT models faster, do these
- Change the old batteries.
- Unlock the speed setting.
- Change the controller.
1. Change the Old Batteries
Old batteries can lower the speed and general performance of your Ezgo golf cart. It is therefore very important that you maintain or change them when they get old. Ensure your battery water level is always topped up with distilled water and their voltages are right.
2. Unlock the Speed Setting
You can change the speed code settings of your golf cart to increase the speed. The available speed code levels are from 2 to 5. Speed code 2 allows your cart to travel at a speed level of about 11-13.5mph. Speed code 3 allows your cart to travel at an average speed of 14.8mph. Speed code 4 allows your cart to travel at a speed level of 19.7 mph. Speed code 5 allows your cart to travel at the highest speed possible.
3. Change the Controller
Changing to a 500 amp controller with 48v batteries can increase your golf cart’s speed. You can also add larger tires to get more speed if you desire.
If you own a Club car, check my article on How to Make a Gas Club Car Golf Cart Faster.
How Can I Make My Electric EZGO Golf Cart Go Faster without Upgrading?
The steps below are how to make your electric Ezgo Golf Cart go faster without upgrading it:
1. Wash Your Golf Cart Regularly
Allowing dirt to build up on your golf cart is one of the easiest ways to reduce the speed. When dirt gets into some parts like your golf cart’s engine, it reduces its performance which results in lower speed levels.
2. Maintain Your Batteries
Your batteries are an integral part of your golf cart. Ensuring they are in a good state is a great way to ensure your golf cart travels at high-speed levels. You can do this by ensuring the water level is always topped up and carrying out regular inspections on them to aid early detection of issues and solving them.
3. Inspect Your Gas Pedal and Linkage
The gas pedal and linkage are both important components to the speed level of your ezgo golf cart. When it is blocked or malfunctioning, it can affect the speed level of your golf cart. Regular inspection and cleaning of these components and other surrounding features will help promote your golf cart’s speed.
4. Reduce the Load on Your Golf Cart
To improve the speed of your golf cart, avoid overloading it. Traveling light will help your cart move faster.
How Do You Remove the Speed Limiter on An EZGO Golf Cart?
To remove the speed limiter on your Ezgo golf cart, follow the procedure below:
- Remove the cable connections from the carburetor. This is a thin cable that can be easily removed. However, in cases where it seems a little difficult to get out, you can use a Phillips screwdriver.
- Remove the other end of the cable connected to the governor. You can easily locate the governor on top of the engine.
- Disconnect the gas pedal from the governor.
- Reconnect the gas pedal to the carburetor.
- Move the shaft upwards to give the gas pedal more play.
- Tighten the bolts and start your golf cart engine.
EZGO Electric Golf Cart Speed Adjustment Guide
To adjust your electric Ezgo Golf Cart speed, you have to tighten the governor spring. Here’s a guide on how to
- Lift up the seat to get to the engine. In newer models, you may have to unscrew the seats.
- Remove the screws from the plastic cover on the rear of the seat and set it aside to see the engine.
- Trace the largest cable coming from the gas pedal till you get to a tiny spring wrapped around a metal rod like structure. The spring has two nuts. A large and smaller one holding it to the rod.
- Loosen the smaller nut and tighten the larger one. The more you tighten the larger nut, the faster your cart will go. If you want to make it slower, tighten the smaller nut. Ensure not to do this at a very fast space as doing so may overstress the engine.
- Test out the speed of the cart.
- Tighten the smaller nut on the governor to hold the spring in place. If you notice any odd noises afterward, it’s an indication that you have tightened the governor too much and need to loosen it a little.
- Replace the back cover.
- Enjoy your ride.
How Fast Does an EZGO Golf Cart Go?
The top speed of an ezgo golf cart is about 19.9mph. The average speed is 14 to 15 mph. with some modifications and adjustments to the governor, it can go an additional 5 to 10 mph.
Increasing the speed level of your Ezgo golf cast can be just what you need to make your rides more fun. However, if you find it difficult to carry out any of the steps stated above, it is advisable to take your cart to a mechanic for assistance.
We hope you found this article on How to make Ezgo Golf Cart go faster helpful.