Many women golf during pregnancy because it’s an activity that doesn’t put a strain on the body and is considered safe for both mother and fetus.
So if you are looking for a detailed explanation for the question can you golf while pregnant, this article explains it all.
However, it’s important for pregnant women to be aware of certain hazards that are specific to golfing while pregnant. They may experience weight gain, back pain, varicose veins, and other discomforts. But, with a little common sense and a healthy respect for the rules of the game, most women can enjoy a safe and pleasant round of golf.
Can You Golf While Pregnant?
Pregnant women can absolutely play golf as they may experience some relief from backaches and other discomforts of pregnancy. Just make sure that you are being careful while playing and get a consultation from your doctor beforehand.
On the other hand, when a woman becomes pregnant, her center of gravity shifts. This means she will have to use more muscle than usual to keep her balance while on the golf course. If she isn’t careful, this extra muscle usage can lead to back pain, varicose veins, and other discomforts.
Pregnancy Golf Clothes for Women
As with all forms of exercise, it is important for a pregnant woman to be properly dressed for the conditions on the golf course. Wear a golf shirt made of lightweight, quick-drying material. Avoid wearing a t-shirt under the golf shirt as this will make it harder to remove the golf shirt in case of a sudden shower. Also, wear a pair of long pants that are made of breathable material. Wear socks that are made of cotton or another soft material. Below are our top recommendations
- High-Quality Polo Tee.
- Self-fabric collar.
- Open placket.
- Fits all pregnant women.
- Soft Lycra Fabric.
What Type of Footwear Should I Wear, if I Am Golfing While Pregnant?
As I have said, the center of gravity shifts when a woman becomes pregnant. This means that she will have to use more muscle to keep her balance. She may also have to walk in a slightly different way than she did before she became pregnant. Check out our article on Best Womens Golf Sandals where we recommend the most comfortable footwear a lady can wear while pregnant.
Can I Play Golf While Pregnant?
Yes. Being able to play golf during pregnancy will enhance your feelings of well-being. It will give your body a workout and provide you with an opportunity to socialize with friends and strangers alike. Plus, you will be spending quality time with your baby, strengthening the bond between you. Also, there are very few activities that can improve your short-term memory like playing a round of golf. There are many health benefits associated with regular golfing. It strengthens your heart, increases your circulation, tones up your muscles, and improves your balance and coordination.
Is It Safe to Play Golf During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is safe to play golf during pregnancy but you should take care of a few things that we have mentioned above.
Are You Allowed to Golf While Pregnant?
Yes, but be careful for the first 3 months. The first three months of your pregnancy are going to be the most difficult time you will experience as a new mother. Your body is undergoing major changes and readjustments and this is a trying time emotionally as well. However, if you are a healthy young woman with a healthy pregnancy, the first trimester should be the easiest time of your life. Your doctor will monitor your pregnancy closely during this time and he or she will be with you every step of the way.
Can You Golf 8 Months Pregnant?
Yes, you can enjoy golf if you are 8 months pregnant but you should consult your doctor about your and your baby current condition.
How to Make Sure You Don’t Hurt Yourself or Your Baby by Playing Too Much Golf
You may have heard that golf is one of the most physically demanding sports. It is true, but if you train and stretch properly, you can make your game more fun and much more enjoyable.
Is It Safe for A Pregnant Woman to Swing?
Yes, but be careful while swinging a golf club. Don’t swing the club too hard! Pregnant women should not swing the club more than any other player. To help prevent this, she should avoid swinging the club with a straight arm and instead, should swing it like she would a racket in a tennis match. That is, with an alternating arm motion. She should also try to play only a few holes at a time and take frequent rest periods between rounds.
I hope you now know the answer to the question- Can You Golf While Pregnant?
Can a Bumpy Golf Course Ride Cause Miscarriage?
Golfers have long worried about the effects of their sport on the ability to have children, but there has never been any substantial medical evidence that it could cause miscarriage or problems with fertility.
Reasons Why Golfing While Pregnant Is a Good Idea?
- Golfing while pregnant is considered safe for both mother and fetus. That means, if you are carrying a baby girl, you can actually play up to 18 holes without any risk of your baby being affected in any way. With a baby boy, you can play up to 27 holes. (By the way, this assumes you are playing an “average” course with par 3’s being around 35 and par 4’s being around 40.)
- It is easy on the body. You don’t have to exert yourself at all to play a round of golf. In fact, many women find it easier to gain weight during their pregnancy because of all the easy calories you get from eating a good hearty lunch or dinner at the golf course restaurant.
- It is relaxing. The simple act of walking, standing, bending, and stretching while playing golf helps most women to relieve stress and feel more peaceful.
- It provides an opportunity to bond with other pregnant women. Many pregnant women enjoy the company of other pregnant women. And, when you are on a golf course, there is no place else to talk except with your fellow players.
- It can actually help you lose weight.
Tips for Women Golfers Who Are Going Through Pregnancy
Follow these tips if you are pregnant and you want to keep on playing golf.
1. Try to avoid lunging in the golf swing as much as possible.
2. You may also have trouble with a backswing or follow-through, but try to minimize this by pulling your arms and hands inwards. You can also try to lower your ball position to lessen the hitting power. Try to avoid falling down on the ground to avoid bumping your belly.
3. Make sure you have good posture while golfing. Good posture is key to keeping your back and backside safe. Keep your head up, don’t lean forward, and try to keep your arms and hands relaxed while holding the club.
4. Practice your backswing and follow-through. Never start hitting the ball until you have perfected your backswing and follow-through.
5. Use the right amount of force. If you don’t have the right amount of force and hurt your back, you’re likely to hurt yourself more than anything.
Wrapping It Up With a Bonus Tip on Pregnant Golfers
In short, there is nothing wrong with golfing while pregnant. In fact, there are many advantages to being a pregnant woman who loves to play golf. So go ahead and play a few rounds now and then. Just make sure you are not overdoing it and putting yourself or your baby at risk.
And, if you are playing with a partner, make sure he or she understands the need for you to be extra careful and not to pressure you to play more than you are comfortable with. I hope that I have answered your question about whether can you golf while pregnant.